UD-XR Forum is a knowledge forum about universal design (UD) of eXtended Reality technology (XR). In addition to developing expertise, its purpose is to raise awareness, build networks and establish good practices among professionals working in these areas.
Accessible XR technology for people with disabilities
XR is an umbrella term for Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR). UD-XR Forum aims to make these technologies more accessible for people with disabilities, such as individuals with visual, auditory, motor, or cognitive impairments.
Collaborative workshops about universal design of XR
Our objective is to use the forum to gather resources, guidelines and best practices, and make this information readily available for developers. During the project period, the forum will organise workshops where developers, representatives from interest organisations and the public sector can share experiences and learn from each other.
UD-XR Forum intends to:
- collect, organise, and summarise digital resources on accessibility and user-friendliness in a reference library that is easily accessible to developers of XR applications, user organisations, and project stakeholders;
- assess positive and negative effects of using XR technology in various fields, such as education, training and work processes;
- demonstrate and highlight specific barriers to the use of XR technology for people with disabilities or varying abilities;
- present solutions to overcome these barriers and identify best practices for common issues in XR technology;
- disseminate knowledge and specifically share challenges and solutions to relevant developers and decision-makers;
- assist user organisations in highlighting challenges their user groups experience with XR technology;
- contribute to international research on universal design of XR technology.
The project is based on results of previous research: Investigating Universal Design of XR Technology for use in Primary and Lower Secondary Schools and The School of the Future: Inclusive use of eXtended Reality.
Name: Forum for Universal Design of XR Technology (UD-XR Forum)
Funding: The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs (Bufdir)
Period: 2023 – 2024